b. 1908 Soncino - d. 1972 Soncino, Italy
Ferrari started to paint at an early age under the guidance of his father, Annibal Ferrari and attended the Art Collge of Brera between 1924-1928. Returning to Soncino (province of Cremona) after his father’s death, Ferrari became an artisan in stuccoes and fresco-painting. From 1932, having perfected his plaster skills at the Scuola Superiore d’Arte of Milan, and having taken part in the Mostra Provinciale di Cremone, his works became increasingly informal. These works were shown in January 1934 in a solo exhibition at Bottega d’Arte Giano in Soresina, but did not meet the success expected. However, the same year the artist pursued with abstraction and experimented with composing artworks with natural elements such as bark, corn, rope, twine and wood-shavings.
Ferrari’s studio moved to Palazzo Meroni in Milan from 1937 until 1958; the residence of the Manzoni family. He was one of the first to have recognised Piero Manzoni’s talent (also born in Soncino), giving him a start at the IV Fiera Mercato in the Castello Sforzesco of Soncino in August 1956. Ferrari participated in further solo and group exhibitions in Italy and solo exhibitions at Galerie M Bochum, Galerie Loehr and Galerie Ernst in Germany.
Enea Ferrari could be therefore the holder of a few important records: he was Italy’s first informal artist, the first author of a-chromes, and Manzoni’s first teacher.